Later, at 2 this afternoon, the Florida Gators basketball team will be trying to survive the so-called "second round" of the inflated 68-team NCAA Tournament against Virginia, a team that matches up well with UF. It should be a good game, but I will have to work and won't be able to watch it. Should Florida manage to get by the Cavaliers, they will probably have to face a formidable Missouri squad in the next game (which I should be free to watch if that scenario unfolds). They didn't get any breaks this year in the seedings, which placed them on a bumpy road throughout the tournament. At least at first glance.
Sometimes in tournaments like this, the way to the Final Four looks well nigh impossible with very tough teams lined up ahead to play in upcoming rounds. Then, almost miraculously, some of those teams inexplicably fall to underdogs and clear the way in that bracket. I think this happened to an extent in 2005 when Florida stunned everyone by first sneaking into the Final Four against anyone's expectations and then easily walking away with the national championship trophy. I'd like to say that the same could happen this year, but unfortunately the Gators, although good enough to be in the tournament, are nowhere near the level of that earlier championship team. Still, it's fun to see how far they might go...
I am not only rooting for Florida in the tournament. I also traditionally support North Carolina, and Florida State has an unusually good team this year. Yes, this just might be the year that the Seminoles do what Florida pulled off a few years ago...and win it all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment