Thursday, February 9, 2012

Romney's Double Game Against Santorum

It looks as if I was a little premature when I mentioned in an earlier article that Mitt "Not Newt" Romney had now changed over to Mitt "Not Obama" Romney. Not quite yet. He still has to go through the transitional state of being Mitt "Not Santorum" Romney, although you'll never hear him publicly acknowledge it.

With his victory in three state caucuses recently, social conservative GOP opponent Rick Santorum has now positioned himself as Romney's main challenger for the party nomination. While Romney continues to rail almost exclusively against President Obama in his campaign speeches, the people working in his heavily financed media attack campaign have now resorted to besmirching Santorum in TV ads. Not that they weren't picking on him earlier, but now that he is the main "enemy" with Gingrich's support fading, I expect more concentrated viciousness aimed at the former Pennsylvania senator.

I see in Mitt Romney the same two-faced approach to politics that George W. Bush practiced. In person, he is amiable and pretends to be bewildered as to why anyone would want to criticize such a nice guy as himself, who just wants to get along and help the country. But behind the scenes, he shells out the big bucks for his "dogs" to ruthlessly take out any perceived serious opposition.

I see it. Doesn't anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment