Today is Election Day in Gainesville, with an at-large city commission runoff being the only race. A politically moderate former commissioner is running against a conservative. The conservative has inundated the mail with his campaign ads, some of which put down the other (who has run a positive campaign himself). He is also very ambitious: in my opinion, he is using this local race as a stepping stone to higher political office. I’m not too happy with that, either.
In the last commission race, I voted for a conservative candidate because the seven-member commission had no conservatives at the time and I believed that legitimate interests in the community that were better served by conservatives were not being properly heard by my city government. Also, I wanted someone in there who could help persuade the others not to embark upon wasteful or foolish projects. But now that we have a conservative, I don’t want to keep adding to the total. I still want a moderate/liberal city commission.
So for the above reasons, I’m voting against that ambitious young conservative today more than I am voting for the other candidate. It will be interesting to see whether his bombardment of campaign ads will pay off for him. I hope it doesn’t.
No comments:
Post a Comment