I had already run about five and a half miles of my seven-mile run around the neighborhood yesterday afternoon and was greatly enjoying the moderate temperature (low sixties) and low humidity. The only drawback was a pretty strong wind coming out of the northeast. That drawback because more pronounced at the end of my run when smoky haze from a fire off somewhere in that direction began to descend around me. I finished my run without experiencing anything worse than that annoying, unpleasant smell. But when my daughter went out a few minutes later to play basketball and do her own workout, she had to cut it off short when the haze became too thick to withstand. I thought to myself, oh no, here come those wildfires again...
But as it turns out, the smoke came from a controlled burn in the National Guard's Camp Blanding, a few miles east of Starke and about 30 miles northeast of Gainesville. According to the Independent Florida Alligator article reporting this, these deliberate burns at Blanding are common but the wind usually sends the smoke elsewhere.
I suppose that I could get really ticked off about the haze messing things up outside. But if this eventually helps to prevent future uncontrolled wildfires in the areas, then maybe this is one of those unpleasant but necessary burdens to bear about living where I live. In any event, the haze has completely disappeared by this time the next morning...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment