Regarding National Football League quarterbacks, I am not a big Tim Tebow fan. Actually, I tend to like his predecessor at Denver, Kyle Orton, more. It was pleasing to see him have such a good game with his new team, the Kansas City Chiefs, as they further endeared me to them by beating the Green Bay Packers 19-14. You see, I am a longtime Miami Dolphins fan and see any team that goes late into the season unbeaten as a threat to the unique legacy left by the 1972 Dolphins team, which won the Super Bowl that year and lost not a single game. The Pack fell on its back, so to speak, and I largely credit Mr. Orton's deft performance for it. Way to go, Kyle...
As for Tebow, I'm still a little miffed at his late heroics in a game earlier this year, leading the Denver Broncos to an improbable comeback win against my Dolphins, just as they were finally on the verge of winning their first game. I don't care one way or another about his open expression of his Christian faith: what bothers me is that a huge swath of the population is behind him for that reason alone (and then again, there are those who oppose him for that same reason). But one thing about his success which pleases me is how he is making fools out of the sports talk show "experts" who said that he was completely lacking in the skills needed to be a competent pro quarterback. I already knew of Tebow's versatility from his years here in Gainesville as the Florida QB. And he does a great job encouraging his teammates to play as a unit and to their best individual abilities, and to feel that victory is always possible (well, almost always).
Speaking of the Dolphins, they actually climbed out of last place in the AFC East Division by beating Buffalo 30-23 today. The two teams both sport 5-9 records, but Miami has the edge by having beaten the Bills twice. They have good prospects for next year. I hope the new "permanent" coach they get is a wise choice.
I'm trying to figure out which teams I'm going to support in the playoffs this year. It hasn't been fun for the state of Florida, with all three NFL franchises having pretty lousy, losing seasons. I like Green Bay (now that they've lost a game) and New Orleans in the NFC. I wish the New York Giants were doing better: their play is so inconsistent that they don't look to make the playoffs (unless everything goes their way in the last two weeks of the regular season). NFC teams that I absolutely dislike? The San Francisco 49ers for their arrogant head coach and the Detroit Lions for their dirty play. In the AFC, the "enemies" are more traditional: New England and Pittsburgh. I clearly like Baltimore more than any of the others, but after them I don't see a whole lot to like, sorry to say. Denver is an interesting (albeit way overhyped) team, but I think that should the New York Jets make the playoffs, I would prefer them. I would like to see San Diego make it, but like the Giants in the NFC, they are practically out of the playoff picture with their mediocre record. Of all the teams technically remaining in the running, I like the New York Giants the most, but like I said, their prospects don't look too good right now. So, assuming they don't get into the playoffs, I am now picking my two favorites to make it to the Super Bowl: the Baltimore Ravens and the Green Bay Packers. With the Ravens prevailing in the end.
Actually, that "wish list" stands a pretty reasonable chance of coming true, from where things stand right now...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment