Tuesday, November 1, 2011

High Humidity Still a Factor in My Running

Yesterday morning it was raining throughout the Gainesville area, very hard at times. I decided to wait until the weather cleared up in the early afternoon before I went on my planned long run. Unfortunately, although the temperature remained a wonderful 71 degrees, the humidity still lingered at a high 76% level. So instead I drove to my local YMCA and ran 8.5 miles on one of the treadmills in their air-conditioned workout room.

I have long held that humidity is usually a more important factor in running than is temperature. And yet the great majority of running races (at least here in Florida) take place just after sunrise, while the temperatures are relatively low but the humidity is excessively high (usually 85-90%). They don't have to go overboard in the opposite direction and hold races in the heat of the afternoon (when the humidity is lowest): I would just appreciate it if the races took place later in the morning after giving the air a chance to dry up to a bearable level.

Too high of a humidity interferes with the body's natural process of cooling itself by releasing sweat. I suppose if it is very cold then the body stands less chance of overheating, be the humidity high or low. But I have to scratch my head in bewilderment when the morning temperatures here in northern Florida are well into the 70's, the air is still thick with moisture, and the roads and sidewalks are full of joggers "escaping" the heat by running early.

There is a reasonably decent chance that I will be running in Gainesville's Tom Walker Memorial Half-Marathon on November 12. The race's starting time is 8 AM, just when the humidity is usually at its worst. Last year when I ran it, though, the temperature at the start was a cold 39. I don't think I can automatically count on the same degree of luck this time around, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment