Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Heat and Humidity Still Impedes Running

The last few days have seen me either curtailing my road running distance in my training sessions or fleeing to the air-conditioned sanctuary of my YMCA treadmill, all due to the unseasonably hot and humid weather we have been suffering through here in Gainesville. Supposedly, after the "cold" front passes through later today, it will get a bit cooler, possibly even dipping down into the upper forties with daytime highs in the mid-to-upper seventies. Still, that's better than what I have been experiencing recently. Sunday's conditions forced me to the treadmill, on which I ran 9.3 miles. Monday I ran a couple of laps around my block (1.34 miles) and was sweating profusely in the 87% humidity. Yesterday, initially intending to run seven miles, I felt the need to shorten it to five because of the stifling moisture permeating the air. And today I only made it once around the block (.67 mile), hoping for better conditions tomorrow.

We'll see how things go tomorrow on Thanksgiving. I expect a good, relatively lengthy run, with the only serious limiting factor being the danger of stuffing myself with too much food beforehand. Still, since I'm off from work tomorrow, I can wait for a while to do my running after what promises to be a very large meal...

No comments:

Post a Comment