Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Deer Here

After they had finished their play rehearsal for the evening, I was driving my daughter and her classmate home from their school. He lives in the subdivision of Northwood Oaks, adjacent to my Northwood Pines. For all practical purposes, though, it's all the same suburban neighborhood, here in far northern Gainesville. I also have gotten to know the streets here quite well, as I have ran many, many miles up and down them over the last couple of years. But I wasn't prepared for what I saw as I turned down a street in "Oaks".

It was about 10:30 pm and the fog was beginning to settle down on everything. I drove down a street that crossed over a long drainage ditch. Suddenly, three large deer crossed the street in front of me from the west and disappeared into the mist along the ditch. I had never imagined that deer would be living here right in the middle of my city neighborhood! I don't live out in the country: this is suburban sprawl if anything. Then I wondered where they could have come from, because I had thought that the western border of Northwood Oaks had been completely fenced off. Hmmm, maybe they just leaped over the fences...

This sort of experience makes me want to run more at night. But the humidity is almost always too high then, I'm not too sure of the surface ahead of me, and I'm not at all sure that I am visible enough for the motorized traffic I encounter. I do run around my block sometimes late at night just to get a run in for the day, but that's quite different from charting a lengthy course.

No comments:

Post a Comment