Lately I have been suffering, I'm afraid, from a little hypochondria. At various times over the past few weeks I have been imagining myself as being afflicted with all sorts of horrible disorders, none of which have been even remotely confirmed. Then one day I noticed that the perspiration on my clothes after exercising had a strange odor. Rushing to my computer, I found that a sweetish smell to perspiration is an indicator of a condition called ketoacidosis and may possibly be due to type I diabetes. Damn, is there anything else bad that I can think I'm afflicted with?
Then, I thought, why not just throw in liver disease as a possible cause. That could be just as fatal... and then something resembling the "control" of a completely unplanned experimental trial changed the "diagnosis".
In spite of all my (hopefully) imaginary health woes, I still kept up with my running, albeit on a lighter level. One day I was looking for the old technical running shirt I had picked up at the Tom Walker Memorial half-marathon a year ago. But I knew it was buried somewhere deep in a pile of clothes in my bedroom. I persisted in my search, though, and found it, wearing it in my workout run that day.
As usual, I worked up a good sweat with my run and, when it was over and time for my shower, I noticed that smell on my sweaty clothes again. Except for that old tee-shirt, that is. It had no smell at all! And then it suddenly hit me...
I recently had changed my laundry detergent to a different, cheaper brand. The Tom Walker shirt, hidden away in that pile for weeks, hadn't been washed with it. Obviously, this new detergent was leaving an embedded scent on my clothing that came out strongly with perspiration. Subsequent "experiments" bore this out. So scratch out diabetes type I and liver failure!
I think I had better lighten up on my health self-diagnosis or I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. Or be a suitable subject for a lead role in a Woody Allen movie (see Hannah and Her Sisters)...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Hannah" is my second favourite Woody film, after "Annie Hall" (which is the best movie ever written). Got 'em both on DVD.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it's all amounting to nothing, and, yeh, it shows that one shouldn't look up too much stuff on the Internet.
In '86, I actually did what Woody's character did at the beginning of "Hannah": I went and got a CT-scan because I was having frequent headaches at the time and was convinced that I had a brain tumor (which I didn't). When I saw Woody doing the same, it cracked me up!
ReplyDelete