Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Coach Muschamp a Wild Man on Sidelines

Every football coach has their own personal demeanor while on the sidelines during games. Some, like the New England Patriots' Bill Belichick or the Florida Gators' former coach Urban Meyer, seem stone-faced and rigid, no matter what is happening on the field. Others like Steve Spurrier pursue a middle ground: Spurrier uses disgusted facial expressions and throws down his visor to express his reactions. Then there are those "wild men" who completely throw themselves into the game, yelling at officials, grabbing players, and even jumping up and down and running back and forth. In this category I put Rex Ryan of the NY Jets and the Miami Dolphins beleaguered coach Tony Sparano. As well as current Florida first-year coach Will Muschamp.

Before this season began, I saw film clips of Muschamp working the sidelines while an assistant coach or coordinator at other schools. And he was very, very emotional, animated and physically involved in the games. I told a couple of my friends to expect to see Muschamp repeat this role of a "wild man" on the sidelines during the Gator games. For a while, though, it looked as if he had settled down a bit. Then again, the first two UF games were against smaller schools. But once Florida began their Southeastern Conference schedule, first against Tennessee and then Kentucky, Coach Muschamp resumed his own theatrical antics. Quite an entertainer, I might say. But, once the game is over and it's time for an interview or press conference, his cool, professional demeanor returns and he becomes a gentlemen once again.

Yesterday I read an article critical of Muschamp's sideline activity written by some young dude working for the Independent Florida Alligator newspaper. He pretty much laid out his objection: Muschamp's antics could be his undoing. But I think that writer missed the point entirely. Will Muschamp is no Bobby Knight, the hot-tempered former Indiana and Texas Tech basketball coach who displayed poor sportsmanship both at courtside and in front of the press microphone. Not that we won't see a little testiness from time to time from the new Gator coach: he does have a right to be human, after all...

Will Muschamp is completely appropriate in his behavior and tailors it to fit the occasion. Sure, he lets himself go during games: that fires up his players to perform better and excites and entertains the fans watching the game. Then, away from the action he assumes the role of leader and spokesman for his team and the University of Florida. I have found no flaws in his behavior: this guy seems to "get it" with how a coach needs to present himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment