Wednesday, August 17, 2011

'Bucks and 'Boks

A funny thing happened throughout my ten-day vacation. Although I had anticipated going to various Starbucks stores while traveling around the southeastern U.S., it turned out that I went to none of them, inadvertently avoiding this brand. Not that I avoided coffee: I probably drank as much of it as I usually do, but at hotels, restaurants, and relatives' homes instead. The Starbucks stores always seemed to either be in another part of town, an inconvenient location, or absent altogether. It wasn't until yesterday afternoon just before work, when I went to Gainesville's Oaks Mall to buy a new pair of Reebok running shoes, that I finally resumed the Starbucks habit.

Yes, it is a pleasant experience to sit down in a cool, air-conditioned Starbucks with its background music and customer chatter, alternately typing away on my keyboard and sipping a strong coffee of theirs. Yesterday doing this helped to put my mind back into "routine" mode, preparing me better for the week ahead. And although I think that it's probably healthy to take occasional vacations and break that routine, I tend to feel more comfortable and empowered when I have a more structured schedule. And familiar coffee shops to frequent!

Speaking of the running shoes, I purchased a pair that seems nearly identical to the ones that served me so well for more than a year. I'm looking forward to breaking them in, starting with just wearing them to work for a couple of weeks. I think I'll save my old pair of Reeboks for running in the rain or on the beach...

No comments:

Post a Comment