As part of my never-ending struggle to find some kind of effective-but-survivable running training regimen during the hot and humid north Florida summer months, I have hit upon a new strategy that shows some promise of success after four days. It came about after I had run for five consecutive days last week and was beginning to feel some knee pain again.
Being concerned about being sidelined from running again for weeks due to injury, I decided to lay off any activity for a couple of days. Then, Sunday afternoon I went to my YMCA's workout room and used their elliptical cross-trainer machine for 44 minutes. Only I began to do it differently this time: instead of using the handles that I could swing back and forth with my arms, I held on to the stationary handles and made my legs completely power the exercise. It was a more intense workout and closely resembled running in many ways. It also worked out supporting leg muscles not normally used much during running, which should help to forestall future injuries. And of course, the elliptical cross-trainer is a "non-impact" workout, with no jarring of joints that running produces.
So then I decided to alternate elliptical workouts with outdoor running workouts. Monday I ran my neighborhood course of 7.18 miles relatively quickly with no pain. Tuesday I was back on the elliptical for 46 minutes. And this morning I ran my 7.18 course even faster, with the temperature being 85-89 degrees.
So now I get a daily intensive workout to my legs but also get a break on alternate days from both the summer heat and the pounding that running produces on them. I wonder whether this will be "the way" to get through the summer with my running from now on!
Notice that I didn't mention anything about swimming. I simply don't have the confidence that I will have space to swim in at my YMCA pool when I get there. But the water at my YMCA's pool sure does look inviting when I am in the workout room, facing it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment