A few days into August I will be traveling with my family to Lexington, Kentucky to visit relatives on Melissa's side of the family. She has gone there three times so far while I have been there just once (and briefly at that). We plan to drive our Toyota Sienna minivan on the Interstate there, which means that we will be going the length of Georgia (passing through Atlanta) and then crossing eastern Tennessee (and Knoxville) before finishing in eastern Kentucky. I look forward to both the ride and the stay. During our visit we will be staying at a Lexington hotel, one with a swimming pool that I plan to put to great use practicing my swimming form. I haven't figured out which places in the area I want to explore, but of course the University of Kentucky is a big attraction. I'll have to visit my local AAA office to pick up some brochures as well as explore the Internet. Maybe I can find some blogs about Lexington and vicinity!
Unlike our New York City visit last year, this trip we will be spending some time with relatives. That's cool: family matters, not just sightseeing! But I'd like to balance the two just the same...
I am in no way a travel addict like some others I know who are pretty jaded about hopping on a plane to go just about anywhere (and seem to have an endless source of money to fund their trips). For one, just getting in the car and driving ANYWHERE out of town is something of an event for me. So a trip to a relatively distant location (for me) is pretty major. Still, were it not for the extended family living there, I seriously doubt that I would even be remotely interested in singling out Lexington for a visit!
Not that I am trying to insult the good city and people of Lexington, Kentucky. After all, I can't understand why anyone would ever want to visit my home city of Gainesville, Florida unless there were a special event (like a football game or concert) or friends and/or relatives lived here. But perhaps I should just make an effort to see what kind of fun I can have in this university town to the north! Who knows, I may be pleasantly surprised. And I also may be able to crank out a few blog articles about my visit as well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment