Monday, May 23, 2011

Nasty Weather of Different Types

I woke up this morning to the news of the devastating tornado that swept through Joplin, Missouri and destroyed an estimated 2,000 buildings and at last count took 116 lives. The twister was estimated to be a mile wide with winds reaching 200 mph. It hit around 6 PM yesterday and was part of a massive storm system that passed through the Midwest.

Here in Florida we have a different problem: excruciatingly hot days (into the upper nineties) with little or no rain. And fires breaking out everywhere. The weather forecasters hold out some hope for a little rain later this week, but we are in serious trouble here. It is quite different from other places, with their flooding and tornadoes, though. But when I see the extreme weather that has been affecting the country, I wonder how severe the upcoming hurricane season will be this year.

On a personal note, I ran 7.18 miles this morning while the temperatures were relatively mild in the low eighties. And it was a fast 7.18 miles for me, although I'm not quite sure why. With the heat, it sure wasn't a pleasant run. Still, I am astounded when it's later in the afternoon, the temperature is approaching 100 degrees, and I see people outside jogging in it! Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment