Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'm Still Waiting, GOP

I'm still waiting for someone on the Republican side of the political aisle who wants to be president to stand up for mainstream American values and set themselves apart from the right-wing ideology that has made this party currently unelectable in a national election. I suspect that Mitt Romney wants the mainstream voter to think that he stands for maintaining the country and tweaking things in moderate ways where they need to be tweaked, but he knows that he is stuck trying to get around the tea-nuts in his own party and the radio and TV blabberjocks in order to secure the nomination. As for me, as well as the American people in general, a competent leader who understands the diversity of interests and people in this great country and leads from both the brain and the heart, no matter which political party he or she belongs to, will be the preferred candidate for president in November 2012. Right now, in spite of what I perceive to be mistakes in his presidency (abandonment of the NASA moon project initiated by his predecessor, acceptance of a health insurance reform bill too accommodating to the private insurance industry, critical two-week delay in responding militarily to Gadhafi's ruthless attacks against his opposition in Libya, and the most recent attempt to capitalize on a success in that part of the world by trying to impose a peace treaty between Israel and the Palestinians), Barack Obama has established himself as a mainstream, centrist president who meets my criteria for that important office.

Even if the eventual GOP nominee turns out to be someone who would govern more from the political center than from the extremes, I still would need to scrutinize the candidate who got the VP/running mate nod, especially since that individual most likely would be more ideological in order to placate the teabrains.

No comments:

Post a Comment