Friday, March 25, 2011

Swimming Progress Encouraging

Yesterday at the YMCA pool, I finally made a strong effort to swim a few of the 25-meter lanes there. It was a timely decision as the rest of the pool was taken up by bouncers and scooby-doos (my terms for water aerobics exercisers and scuba-diving students, respectively). I hit upon an effective strategy to my lane swimming: I would swim freestyle in one direction and then paddle on my back in an improvised, easier-for-me backstroke in the other. Thus I was able to keep myself rested for more laps. I ended up swimming 12 laps in all, a personal record by far for lane swimming.

By doing lane swimming, I was also able to focus more on the one major impediment to my ability to swim longer distances nonstop: incorrect breathing form. But I checked out some tips on the Internet, especially swimming instructor Terry Laughlin's suggestions to help with breathing. And I intend to try them out the next time I go swimming.

I also think it's about time for me to get serious with learning the breaststroke and integrating it within my swimming practice sessions. I've seen other swimmers in the lanes who changed styles as they swam laps, and I have always wanted to be able to do that. Besides, the breaststroke looks like a simpler stroke than freestyle as far as breathing is concerned. I have seen swimmers doing the breaststroke with their heads always above the surface, but I want to follow McLaughlin's precepts and keep below surface for much of the stroke. Well, I should have plenty of time to practice, with the warm weather ahead of me here in Florida!

No comments:

Post a Comment