Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Long Walk: My Version

Early in his professional writing career, Stephen King wrote several stories under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. Among these was an intriguing tale titled The Long Walk. In it, a future or alternative America staged a walking race like no other: the contestants had to walk at a pace of at least 4 mph or they would be eliminated. Literally eliminated, i.e. shot dead on the spot. The race was over when all contestants had been "eliminated" but one, leaving the winner (and only survivor). I'll leave it to you to read it for yourself if you want. King has written better stories, but it did leave an impression on me nevertheless regarding race walking and walking in general.

When Melissa and I walk around our block, we usually do so at a 3-3.2 mph pace. On the treadmill, I usually cool down from a run at 3.4 mph. But Stephen King's 4 mph is a pretty high level for me. And that got me to thinking...

While I am recovering from my leg injury and waiting to run again, why not just see how fast I can walk and for how long? And why not start with 4 mph as a minimum speed, conveniently using my YMCA's treadmill? Yes, I can still use the elliptical cross-trainer and the weights in my workout while enhancing it with a brisk walking session. I think I'll try this out tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I am also aware of how painfully funny race walkers look, with their exaggerated hip motions. This may be one big reason why more people pursue competitive running instead, in spite of the increased injury hazards associated with that activity. Also, I think it would be hard to police a public walking race as there would need to be race officials practically everywhere to scrutinize the contestants to insure that no one cheated by running here and there. But I'm not all that interested in competitive racing against others, anyway. Just knowing how I am doing with my speed and endurance is good enough for me. But I do like the idea of a public event dedicated to this activity in which, like with running, I could participate from time to time in a more social context.

A lot of the 5K public running races that are routinely offered combine the running with an invitation for walkers to participate as well. Usually though, this is just for the folks heavily into the charities that are running the events; these people tend to take their sweet time getting through the course and aren't all that interested in walking per se. I'd like a setting that attracted fitness walkers who wanted to test each other out in competition, but I don't see that anywhere. Not in Gainesville, at least. But that would be my idea of a fine "long walk".

3 comments:

  1. I remember reading that story when i was in high school. I still get a creepy feeling when thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, those early "Bachman" novels may have creeped out King himself a little: maybe that's partially why he used his famous pseudonym with them. But one of those early Bachman stories, Thinner, is truly a King classic that he should have published initially under his own name. Did you read that one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No...I don't think I did. Looks interesting.

    It's been a while since I've read a Stephen King book. I don't know why. In fact, there seems to have been a solid 5 year period where - with the exception for some Garrison Keillor novels that made me nostalgic for my home in the midwest - I read very little fiction at all.

    When I got back into it, I didn't go for the horror stories but instead buried myself in Dostoyevsky, Dickens and...presumably to get some spice in my fiction reading...lots of Updike.

    Oh well. Thinner does look good. Maybe I could go for another change in pace.

    ReplyDelete