Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blockbuster Close-Out Sale Brings Out Types

Yesterday, the two remaining Blockbuster movie/game rental stores in Gainesville began their week-long close-out sale before they close their doors for the last time. Movies were going pretty cheap, so I took my son over to the closest one, arriving about five minutes after the sale began. Already the parking lot was packed; inside it were wall-to-wall people scavenging for previously "rental" DVDs. I looked around in disbelief: customers were walking around carrying massive stacks of DVDs that they intended to buy. One woman had filled a baby stroller with hers! I wondered to myself where these people were going to find the time to watch all of the movies they were buying. And anyway, most of them are available on television if you just have the patience to wait until one of the many movie channels puts them on their lineups. I concluded that sales like this, such as the semiannual Friends of the Library used book sale, bring out the hoarders and scavengers in our community. And another less pleasant type as well.

As I drove down to the sale, I reached the last traffic light before the Blockbuster store. I pulled into the right turn lane. The light was red and I was second in a line of cars. The car in front was stopped, looking for an opening in the passing traffic to make a turn. Suddenly, the driver behind me began to sit on his horn to make the front car go. He had no view of the traffic himself, but was obviously in a big hurry and not concerned about complicating factors (such as simple reality). Finally, the lead car turned and I was in front, with the light still red (in Florida, you can turn right on red if it's clear unless otherwise specified). I decided that I had enough of this jerk and just sat there, though, and waited for the light to turn green for me. This totally infuriated the man-in-a-hurry and he blasted his horn nonstop. When I finally did turn, he quickly veered past me on my left, still sounding his horn at me. I drove on to Blockbuster.

I went around to the back of the store and parked. When we walked around the corner to the front of the store, we saw how crowded the parking lot was...and that honking dude's car was just pulling in! Evidently, he had wanted to get to Blockbuster when it opened and had been delayed, consequently subjecting anyone in his path to his wrath. So yes, there was a third type there at Blockbuster's: the irrationally panicky impatient.

I'm sorry to see the demise of video rental stores. I know that one can order movies now through the mail or directly from the Internet. Fine. But it takes away the enjoyment from simply browsing through the video store, allowing an interesting title here or there to capture one's attention and curiosity. Now that resource is disappearing. I'm afraid that bookstores are next: Borders is closing 200 stores, including the one in Gainesville, complete with its own clearance sale...

Hoarders, scavengers, and irrationally impatient: CONVERGE!

Everyone else: GET OUT OF THEIR WAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment