Monday, December 6, 2010

Temperatures Falling in North Florida

One of the funny things about living in Florida, even the northern part as I do, is discussing the winter weather when it gets cold. The cold temperatures here have been long in coming, which you know if you've been following this blog. Now that they are finally here, I am beginning to wax nostalgic about the summer!

For the last three mornings, the temperatures plummeted below freezing, lows being around 30. But for the rest of the week, starting tomorrow morning, we are expecting record lows, dipping down into the low 20's. The highs shouldn't pierce the 60 degree mark until the end of the week.

Meanwhile, I just heard that New York City got four feet of snow. Relatives living in Kentucky are sending pictures showing snowman construction zones. And I'm harping about the weather here, which incidentally is exceedingly dry, no precipitation of any sort forecast in the foreseeable future.

This past February, I was dismayed on the morning of the LifeSouth Half Marathon when at the 7:00 start of the race it was 28 degrees. I wore a sweatshirt (the same one I'm wearing right now in Starbucks writing this) and long training pants to run the race. It heated up during the run, though, resting in the early 40's when I finished sweating like crazy under the insulation. So my current training strategy is simple: wait until temperatures climb up to the 40's and then go running in my usual tee shirt and shorts.

No, I WILL make an effort to revel in this coldness and even thrive in it! After all, down here I don't have to concern myself with snowdrifts and icy roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment