Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Win a Few, Lose a Few

Two weeks ago, the Florida Gators played Alabama with high hopes of regaining their prestigious high national rankings, possibly even returning to Number One. After their humbling defeat to the Crimson Tide, UF regrouped and prepared for last week's game against LSU. Which they lost in a very close, exciting game. Does this mean that their season is now ruined? Some probably think so, but I don't.

It's tough living in a town where the population expects their college football team to contend for the national championship each and every year. In this sort of climate, a loss is treated as a tragedy. What nonsense! I root for the University of Florida football team like most everyone else around here. And no, I don't like it when they lose. But do you really want to expect your team to so dominate the sport that anything short of a blowout is a disappointment?

I would rather my team be good from year to year, with a few spectacular seasons occasionally sprinkled in. I want the excitement that comes from going into a game as an underdog every now and then. Or playing a team where the outcome is far from certain.

In any event, this year's edition of Gators football promises to continue to be entertaining and exciting. They're obviously not the best in the country, or even in the conference for that matter. But they ARE good and show a lot of competitive spirit. I am looking forward to following them for the rest of their schedule. And, by the way, even though they have lost two games in a row, they can still make it to the conference championship game if they win the remaining league games. But even if they don't, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment