Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dean Koontz's Novel Intensity

I recently finished reading my third Dean Koontz novel, titled Intensity. It was quite a departure from Midnight, which was the previous novel of his that I read. Midnight, which was about a mysterious coastal California town whose population was undergoing a profoundly sinister change. Intensity, on the other hand, was a life and death struggle between protagonist Chyna Shepherd and her adversary, Edgler Vess, a sadistic killer. This initially disappointed me as I was looking for another "Midnight" and wasn't getting it with this story. But I then began to pick up some things with Intensity that made it stand out as novel with its own worth.

Both main characters had strong personalities and deeply entrenched personal narratives that they used to justify their present behavior. Chyna came from a very unstable family background, continually surrounded by abusive (and criminal) adults. She developed during these early times the crucial survival skill of "invisibility", which came in handy in the story as she tired to elude Vess. Vess , for his own part, created a personal philosophy that life should be lived to its fullest intensity at each moment and that there was really no good or evil. This he did to justify the murderous, sadistic acts he compulsively committed against others since childhood.

It was the examination of these two characters' worldviews that finally salvaged this otherwise overly violent and gory tale for me. I hope that the next Dean Koontz novel I read will have a different type of theme. Still, I got a couple of things out of Intensity.

Chyna's "invisibility" reminded me of my own personal ability, at times, to behave in such a way as to deflect the attention of others, almost to the point where it is as if I am not there. I don't think this is a very healthy way of presenting oneself before others, do you? Also, Vess's "philosophy" of "intensity" made me think of all the people around me and across the world who disguise their own prejudices and hates by donning the clothing of religion and political "principles".

No comments:

Post a Comment