As I continue to run in the midst of temperatures climbing into the nineties, I am discovering that I am becoming acclimated to the new challenges raised by the heat and humidity. I thank Jeff Galloway's "walk/run" system for much of my progress. I also carry Powerade Zero with me on my runs and chug down a gulp during each walking period. I also generally give myself a day to recuperate from training runs, choosing to either do upper-body workouts, work in the yard, or just take the day off. The results have been very encouraging so far.
On runs of any length, even those of more than 8 miles, I fail to discern any kind of leg or foot pain, something that was always a factor when I trained for the half-marathon earlier this year. My times have also improved to the point where, even with my walking breaks included, I am achieved times on the same level as when I would run straight through the same distance without walking. At this rate, I will be able to try to gradually increase the distance of my training runs, even in the midst of sweltering summer heat. Something that just a few weeks ago I would have thought to be impossible.
Later this year, I am planning to run at least one marathon: in Jacksonville on Sunday, December 19. But if the opportunity avails itself, I'd like to be able to run one or two more before that takes place. This, however, depends on me getting off from work on days which don't seem available right now. Early next year, there are several marathons offered here in Florida. I am definitely planning to run in the LifeSouth Five Points Marathon in February here in Gainesville and might venture in January down to Disney World to participate in their annual exercise in mass mob running. Just to see if I can avoid being trampled!
Right now, at this very moment, I feel confident that I could complete a 26.2 mile marathon. But someone would need to supply air and hotel fare for me to travel up north or out west where the only races are currently being held. Oh, and a little extra time off from work would help, too!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment