Let me quickly get this in before it's too late.
The World Cup (excuse me, the "FIFA" World Cup, whatever the hell that is) has reached its final game, to be played tomorrow afternoon Eastern Time. The Netherlands and Spain, pre-tournament favorites, are the finalists. And this time there is no clear favorite. My own family is split on whom to root for: my daughter wants Spain and I'm pulling for Holland. I don't think the rest of my family could care less who wins, revealing naturally that they are more in tune with the pulse of American public opinion in general.
It's a lot more fun watching a game when you have people in the same room pulling for opposite sides. A couple of years ago, Rebecca and I did this watching the Super Bowl matchup between Pittsburgh and Arizona (she got the last laugh when the Steelers pulled it out). Last year's wasn't the same, as we both rooted for the New Orleans Saints. And now it's soccer time! [Oops, I mean "FIFA" soccer time]. Truth is, neither of us knows much about either team playing in the final. We made our choices somewhat arbitrarily, but in the thick of the game one's reasons for team allegiance get lost in the fervor anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment