Thursday, May 13, 2010

Return to Possum Creek Park

At Gainesville’s Possum Creek Park, situated on the south side of 53 Avenue just east of 43 Street, a project has been underway to make improvements. This included adding a large skateboarding park, the likes of which Gainesville has never before witnessed. And it has become an instant hit, increasing park usage dramatically. I just made a return visit to size up the changes. Besides the new skateboarding center, they added a spacious, fenced-in ring for dogs to hang out in (reminding me of a similar place, albeit smaller and made of concrete, near Pier 83 in western Manhattan behind P.D. O’Hurley’s) . By the way, the trail I investigated earlier wasn’t much better than before, but there was a crude makeshift metallic slab that sufficed for a bridge across a heretofore impassable creek. The trail did go on a little bit further until it opened into a pretty little remote meadow…

Here is my link to the earlier article I wrote about Possum Creek Park. And here are some photos I took of the “changed” parts of the park, which mainly carries appeal for kids, their parents, and dog owners. But unless I decide to take up skateboarding as a hobby, I’m probably not going to return there anytime soon.







2 comments:

  1. Hi, do you know if the playground facilities are open yet?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything seems to be open. If you want to use the soccer facilities, though, better bring your own netting for the goals as there wasn't any.

    ReplyDelete