I don't know about you, but I am a little out of sync with holidays as they stand. I get the significance of all of them, to be sure, but they don't affect me in a very personal sense (except, of course, annual markers like my birthday, wedding anniversary, loved ones' birthdays, and so on). So the idea occurred to me of developing my own personal "holidays", days marking significant events or changes in my own life. And today, the last Wednesday in May, is one such day.
It is a little touchy to reveal much about what this day means, for it involves other people with their own rights to privacy. The first "Last Wednesday in May" happened on May 27, 1970 during my increasingly failing struggle to put a dignified ending to my eighth grade in school (How much should I say?). Let's just say that I was a very vulnerable young teenage boy who also, at the time, had the physique of a concentration camp survivor due to my "off-the-charts" high metabolism and the face of a composite of about five acne commercial "befores". Not to mention extreme shyness and trouble putting words together into coherent spoken sentences. But I was still a benign, kindly character who generally thought well of others and who wanted to develop friendships. On this day, though, I realized that I was more or less on my own and that society was set up to hinder me, not help me.
Unfortunately, this day resonates with me to this day because my changed world view from back then in May of 1970 is still largely the same. It's too bad that I couldn't go into more detail, except to say that this is the way it generally is with writing on this blog: my life is like an iceberg, with the above-ground 10% expressible and the bulk of it submerged and hidden. Maybe I'll expound on the significance on the Last Wednesday in May in future articles while being careful not to reveal the wrong kind of stuff. Now that should intrigue you enough to stay tuned!
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment