Monday, April 12, 2010

My Running Experience in NYC

When I arrived at my hotel in New York City (Manhattan, Theatre District) last Tuesday evening, I already knew that said hotel (the Marriott Marquis) had an excellent 24-hour workout room, complete with lots of treadmills and cross-trainers. I knew I would be able to keep up with my running, although treadmill running just isn't the same as running outdoors on the road or ground. But being who I am, I thought it would be fun to try out running on densely-traveled city streets anyway. So, the next morning I donned my running outfit, went down the elevator, and lighted out on the sidewalk amid the many pedestrians.

At first, I got a nice break as I hit a stretch of the sidewalk with just a few walkers. But that space soon evaporated as I was boxed in behind a crowd of pedestrians. And so developed a pattern for the next few minutes: walking among the crowd and then, seeing an opening, running a little. And then slowing to a walk. Naturally, I would often come up to street crossings. At first I waited to cross, but later decided that unless I could cross just then, I would just veer right and go down the perpendicular road. This led to the effect of my spontaneously-developing course looking something like a coil in a spring.

On top of everything else, I had inadvertently begun to run in the opposite direction from where I had originally intended. I was running down a street when I finally looked at the street sign. Avenue of the Americas?! Where the hell is that? Further turns revealed to me that I was southeast of my hotel, so I gradually navigated my way back. Crossing right at Times Square (although I didn't know it at the time).

After that episode, I confined my running to the excellent treadmills at the hotel. Besides, I got plenty of exercise over my stay by walking long distances and climbing stairs. I was heartened to see such an active, positive culture of fitness later at Central Park, with all of the runners, walkers, cyclists, skaters, and the like. Yes, if I lived in Manhattan (presuming I could afford it) I think I would emulate John and Yoko and live at a place like the Dakota, which is very conveniently located just across the street from this wonderful park.

After getting back home in Gainesville, I finally ran a respectable distance on the road, back in my home neighborhood as usual. But I would have loved to have tried out a good, long run through Central Park had time permitted. I also later discovered on the Internet that running is very popular in Manhattan, with running clubs regularly holding races in Central Park. There are also long stretches on both the eastern and western sides of the island that runners can train on with a minimum of interrupting traffic. Still, I'm glad I had that initial, albeit frustrating morning running experience in the vicinity of Times Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment