Sunday, April 11, 2010

My Old Blog Template and the iPad

While awaiting the afternoon performance of South Pacific at the Lincoln Center in New York this past Wednesday, we came across an Apple products store nearby and entered to browse. They had several of their new iPads lined up on tables for potential customers, ready for demonstration. I tried out one of them and, naturally, accessed this blog. I discovered, to my horror, that I could barely read it, as the template I had picked out (black background, white text) did not show up well on the iPad screen. I then inferred that people with other small devices having access to my blog might have similar limitations with their displays. Not being one to prevent anyone from being able to read my blog, I quickly switched my template to a white background with black print. There, I hope that's better...

Have you tried out the iPad? I can see how some may like it, but for me I think that I would rather invest in an good Internet-accessing cellphone and a notebook with its connection ports than deal with the iPad slab. Anyway, as I have mentioned before, I am waiting for more of an "immersion" experience with computers, something like virtual reality. That really isn't that far off, either. Although it's still relatively expensive, there are glasses one can wear to view movies, covering the eyes well to prevent any outside distractions. Why not take this one step further and integrate the computer/Internet experience with actual glasses, embedding the screen within the glass? And controls could be on the side of the glasses, or even possibly based on head movements projected on a virtual screen. Or maybe they've already figured this out and are waiting to introduce more advanced products in progressive "stages". Who knows. I just know that, with the development of more portable and smaller web-accessible technology, those who design websites need to take care in ensuring that their sites are presented in a more clear and legible manner. Even if it means compromising a little with aesthetics and personal style preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment