Yesterday, I tried to run a half-marathon around my neighborhood. And I succeeded, finishing with 13.6 miles in the not-so-Earth-shattering time of 2:20:43. But I wasn't concerned about how fast I ran it; I just wanted to see how far I could go.
After my 10-mile run the precious Wednesday, I redesigned my course so that on the next long run I would pass by my house every 3.4 miles, giving me the opportunity to rehydrate myself with Gatorade (or "G') and wolf down a banana or two if I felt like it. And it worked!
The run went pretty smoothly and uneventfully although, with about three miles to go, I did experience my right leg starting to go into a cramp. But I was somehow able to keep it at bay and finish the run. Toward the end (besides the leg cramping), my lower legs and feet ached a lot. But I was mentally very sharp and energetic, fatigue not affecting me on this run. Had my legs/feet felt better and I wasn't constrained by time (I had to leave for work a half hour after my run finished), I probably could have run several miles further.
After the actual 13.6 mile run was completed, the process involved with it continued. I was now in recovery, and it hurt. For the next hour, I experienced some significant cramping in my feet and thighs (especially the left). But it finally relented, and I was able to enjoy a typical workday. Today, although I feel sore in some spots, I feel pretty good overall.
After I finished that 10-mile run a week ago, I told myself that I wasn't cut out for this and should just concentrate on three-mile runs instead. My feet ached during the last two miles of that run. But with the 13.6 mile run, I was O.K. after ten miles. Around the eleven mile mark, though, the aching returned. I think there may be a number of reasons for this. One, I could stand to lose about forty pounds. That would be forty pounds less that my feet wouldn't have to support every time they hit the ground. Two, I could probably use a new pair of running shoes, designed to fit my particular way of foot placement. And three, a little aching might just be a natural result of running a lot further than I have been accustomed to.
So now that I know for sure that I can cover the distance, I am more likely to run that half-marathon race on February 14. We'll see. Maybe next Wednesday I'll start my run earlier in the morning and see how far I can go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment