Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Goth Culture and Vampires

Until just recently, I have regarded South Park's Manbearpig episode lampooning Al Gore as my all-time favorite episode of that series (actually, I like the former VP and his underrated sense of humor). Now, Manbearpig has a competitor for the "title": Season 12's The Ungroundable, examining (and naturally poking much-needed fun at) the subcultures of the Gothic (or "goth") and vampires, flourishing mainly within the youth demographic.

In case you don't know what Gothic culture is, basically it's a form of social presentation and outlook in which its adherents tend to dress in black, dye their hair black, make their skin pale, wear idiosyncratic jewelry, listen to certain types of music (like Siouxsie & the Banshees, The Cure, Depeche Mode), tend to skip classes, watch Gothic horror flicks, hang out in coffee shops drinking a lot of coffee, smoke cigarettes liberally, and take an openly cynical view of just about everything that the majority population holds up in esteem. Vampires are more of a fad that has recently sprung up (promoted by Stephanie Meyer's equally faddish Twilight series of novels/movies) that mimics the goth "look" but whose adherents pretend to be vampires.

In the South Park episode, South Park School's goth clique, offended at the "vampires" for copying their appearance, goes about to destroy that movement by discerning its source. Which turns out to be a new store in the local mall that sells vampire "gear" (like fake vampire teeth).

When I first saw The Ungroundable, something unexpected (and a little disturbing) happened to me: I began to find myself identifying with the goths! No, I don't dye my hair black (or least I haven't yet) and I don't smoke (nor do I ever plan to). But I have always preferred wearing dark clothing, often dressing completely in black. Although black is technically the absence of color and I have usually mentioned other hues when asked what my favorite color is, I honestly prefer black over all the others. Even recently, when looking for paint for my home's interior walls, I found myself drawn to the darker shades, even black. I am not only a confirmed coffee drinker, but as in goth culture, I hang out regularly in coffee shops (I am hanging out in a Starbucks writing this). And I challenge anyone to find a more cynical attitude toward humanity and society than the one I have.

Goths don't fit in and don't want to. And neither do I, on both counts. When I went to high school in the early 1970s, I might have identified with the goth culture there, had there actually been one at the time (although they might not have cared for the fact that I wouldn't "light up"). Who knows, maybe there were people like that around, but they couldn't find me (since I tended to try to make myself as invisible as possible). But I don't recall any cliques of this sort happening back then. We had our groups, to be sure: the jocks, the brains/geeks (I was a marginal member here),the performers, the bullies/toadies, the preppies/snobs, and so on. But no goths.

I like the Gothic subculture, but I doubt that this subculture likes me. I'm 52, gray-haired, steadily employed (with a good attendance record), with a beautiful wife, two great kids (one at college and one entering high school), a house, two cars, and two slobberingly-sweet dogs. And no smokers anywhere to be seen (except for in-laws). Oh yeh...and I like Al Gore, too. But I do love to listen to the very gloomy musical groups Depeche Mode and The Cure. I have an affinity for the night. And I sometimes have to strain a bit on this blog to present my opinions without weighing them down with too much cynicism. I guess I was just born ahead of my time!

As for vampires, I say just stick with Stephanie Meyer and South Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment