Due to health problems I've been experiencing (not critical, but incapacitating) this week, I wasn't able to see the Perseid meteor shower as I had planned. It was pretty overcast the last two nights anyway.
Truth is, living within a city of more than 100,000 residents like Gainesville makes it difficult for me to observe the night sky the way I want to. Add to the urban environment with its night lights the fact that there are so many trees everywhere blocking the view and you can see that star-gazing simply doesn't work here for me. I need to find a dependable location in an open field or hilltop on the outskirts of Gainesville to be able to reasonably observe the night sky.
As for figuring a way to photograph celestial objects with my cheap binoculars and digital camera, that didn't work out either. But I do have an old telescope stand that I believe I could place on a tabletop and attach the camera to it. Then, with a long exposure setting I may be able to capture the moon, some stars, and planets. But for the time being, I am not in physical condition to do much moving around, so this project will have to wait for a future opportunity.
Friday, August 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment