In my hectic life, I live (and die) by the clock. At least, I think my life is hectic (sometimes). And I (sometimes) live by the clock. Truth be told, I abhor being held to tight schedules and deadlines. Having free, open time lying ahead of me is something I cherish. Not that I always take advantage of that time to do something self-fulfilling. Sometimes doing nothing can be rewarding!
I look at other people and their lifestyles and I wonder why they choose to allow themselves to be so boxed in with their time. Some appear to have the notion that always being busy, busy, busy is a virtue. I've even known a couple of colleagues who have regularly, voluntary forgone work breaks, and not because there was crucial work to do either. They either don't know how to chill out for even just a few minutes or they equate rest and/or leisure with laziness.
One of my new all-time favorite songs is a sad, introspective song by Sufjan Stevens that he put on his The Avalanche album. Titled Pittsfield (after an Illinois town), the lyrics reveal an individual whose childhood was less than idyllic; apparently, a parent or guardian would put in long working hours away from home and then guilt-ride him (while he was still a child) about his perceived laziness:
You can remind me of it that I was lazy and tired
You can work all your life as I'm not afraid of you anymore
As adults of course, we need to be responsible regarding our obligations to ourselves, our dependents, and the society at large. But this doesn't imply that we should beat ourselves down with work, as if we are paying penance for simply being alive! And worse, using our perception of our own "virtue" to put down others.
Once, I was having (I thought) a light conversation with one of my co-workers. I mentioned that I liked to go the theme parks with my family and ride roller coasters. To which he replied that, yes, he used to like those sorts of things, but he's grown up now and has gone on to more important things. He didn't say this in meanness toward me; he really believed that, at his age (he was about 10-15 years younger than me) that engaging in fun, leisure activities was immature and irresponsible. I hope that this individual, who since left to work elsewhere, will "grow up" out of this potentially self-destructive delusion (well, I think it's a delusion). For occasionally breaking away from tight schedules and enjoying some leisure activity (or inactivity) is important for our health, both mental or physical. And I don't have to be a physician to know that: I have lived it, and have seen this in others as well!
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment