Monday, April 20, 2009

Knowing (The Movie)

I recently saw the new Nicholas Cage film Knowing. I don't think I'm giving anything away that hasn't been shown in the previews by stating that Knowing is about a mysterious document full of numbers that, when decoded, reveals a series of disasters that happened (after that document was written). And some pretty serious predictions about the future. Cage plays a widowed astrophysicist (with one child, a boy) who comes across the numbers and stumbles upon their meaning.

Once Cage figures out the document's code, he begins to extrapolate events revealed on it that haven't yet happened. And it is here that I have a serious problem with the way previews are cut from movies. Having previously seen the movie's preview, I already knew that Cage would be standing outside on a miserable, rainy day and witness a horrible jet plane crach up close. Before I walked into the theatre, I knew this. So when that particular scene of the movie unfolded, I already knew what was coming. And so did just about anybody else who saw the preview. But the crash scene was obviously crafted with the intent of completely catching the viewer off guard. But I suppose the movie's promoters figured that their desire to attract more paying customers outweighed any desired to uphold the integrity of the viewing process. What a shame.

For special effects, mood, and acting, Knowing was quite good. I thought that the explanations of the mysteries brought out in the movie were, however, stale and stupid.

For the above reasons, I recommend Knowing, but with reservations. Nicholas Cage enchances the value of any movie that he's in, and he went far to save this one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment