Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Florida Water Wimps

It never fails to amaze me how people around me panic whenever a little rain is falling on them. Out go the umbrellas, even for a little drizzle. And if no umbrella is handy, watch out! People who never run are suddenly transformed into world-class sprinters, madly dashing through the rain. As if they were going to dissolve from the water.

When I'm trying to maneuver my car around a crowded parking lot while it's raining, I have to be especially careful. For pedestrians, or simply people going to their cars, will often forget the most fundamental safety measures in their haste to get out from it.

I have lived my entire life (discounting my early infancy) in Florida. So I know what I'm talking about when I say that rain, and getting wet from it, goes with the territory. It cracks me up to be walking out of a building while it is raining, even lightly, and see a crowd of people standing huddled under a shelter, waiting for the shower to abet. What are they, water wimps? My words of advice to them is that they're Floridians, so they're supposed to get drenched in downpours every now and then! When it rains, they need to be bold: just walk right out there in the middle of it and shout to the world, "I'm a Floridian! I'm all wet!... and I'm proud!"

No comments:

Post a Comment