Sunday, November 2, 2008

Social Activity Niche Search

Admittedly, I have something of the personality of a hermit. Recognizing this, I also recognize the need to fight this tendency of mine to be reclusive. For one, I’m out here right now in a Starbucks typing out this entry. But more than that, I know that I need to consciously reach out in public to interact on a more normal level with people in general.

For example, with my running, I could have just gone on running on my own, by myself. But instead, I decided to (1) use the treadmill in the very public YMCA and (2) enter and run in some public races recently. To this end, I probably will continue to run in public races, although I would like to run longer distances. But looking through Section D of my Sunday newspaper, I see all sorts of social activities out there for people to avail themselves of. The problem is that many of them conflict with my work schedule. And a few of them also--let’s just be frank-- don’t seem very interesting. But let’s see what there is, those factors taken into account.

Yikes, I keep looking down the page and seeing interesting things, only to find that I have to be at work when they’re going on. And although concerts and plays are fun to watch, they don’t really require interaction on my part. So what’s left?

--At 9 a.m. on Thursday I can take a guided walking tour through Paynes Prairie, identifying the flora and fauna we encounter. But that’s good for only once every now and then.

--Next Saturday, starting at 10 a.m., is the Downtown Festival and Arts Show. Should be a fun event to hang out at! But it isn’t a regular activity, either.

--I’ve never been into dancing, but there are opportunities for classes/dances in cross creek clogging, first klass klogging (?), Israeli dancing, and line dancing. Does any of that sound promising?

--On Monday evenings, there’s a writers’ roundtable at a local Books-a-Million.

--Times are available to me should I want to partake in elementary aikido or yoga classes.

--And there are quite a few volunteer organizations as well. Although, (I'm sure) to my discredit, I really don’t feel like being a cog in someone else’s “machine” on my time off from my job, taking orders from others. This is one big reason I steer clear of church activities.

So I don’t know. I doubt that the Gainesville Sun is the only source of activities available around town. I’m thinking of picking out one thing that I can get socially involved in. That writer’s roundtable, at least right now, sounds pretty cool. Do you suppose they would actually expect me to contribute input to the group? Maybe that’s just what I need, though (shudder)!

No comments:

Post a Comment