I just finished running my third public running race in a month’s span (and my eighth ever): Florida Track Club’s annual Dog Days 5-kilometer run (to benefit the University of Florida Student Chapter of the Veterinary Medical Association and the Alliance for Rabies Control). I didn’t do as well as I did in the last race, finishing it in 24:28. The competition was much better, as I had expected. The course was almost identical to my previous race, except that it went in the opposite direction. That made for a very (for Gainesville) steep hill at one point (approaching NW 22 Street going east along NW 8 Avenue). When the Florida Track Club posts the results on their website, I’ll put the link here.The Dog Days Run also featured a one mile race in which dogs could run (accompanied by their humans on leashes, of course). So the crowd before and after my run included dogs of every size and shape and pedigree (and non-pedigree).
I did not feel very good this morning, so just getting up and running the race (and finishing it) was an accomplishment in itself. And it also established a firm pattern in my mind of running in races held by people who know what they’re doing and who have the runners’ interests in mind. There will be another 5K race on December 7 (also held by the Florida Track Club) on the UF campus. I’m not sure whether I’ll enter it or not. I’d really like to begin running longer distances, and not necessarily for competing in races. There’s something a bit exhilarating in running 7-10 miles out on the open road or in the country, especially when the season changes and the temperature begins to drop. The race temperature today was in the upper fifties, somewhat nippy for a Floridian like me (but I’ll get used to it). The picture above is what is on the tee shirts they handed out to the runners.
I just commented on the language blog as anonymous because I didn't have an acct.(my very 1st one). Once again, you are inspiring me. I always loved to sprint, run around the track (would love to have been on track team at Nova). I plan to start running a bit at a time on my walks now that the weather is cool. I am so proud of your getting back to your running. Congrats on that 2nd place run recently!!!
ReplyDeleteWith running, I think the key to success is to start out very gradually, give yourself a day between runs to recuperate, and have fun!
ReplyDeleteDid they have girl's track when you went to high school? I know (after looking it up) that Title IX, which ending up mandating more equality for girls in high school and college athletics, didn't pass until 1972. Too bad, but at least the girls nowadays have more opportunities to participate in sports.