Here in Gainesville, it looks like the running road-race season is kicking in with full force. This coming Saturday features two competing 5K races in town, while the University of Florida will hold their annual Gator Gallop run on Homecoming Week Friday on October 24. The Florida Track Club will be holding two events in early November: a 5K run on November 1 and a half-marathon on November 8.
I had a lot of fun running the Red Cross 5K race on October 4 (which was the first race I ran since 1976). I think I will run in one of those two 5K races next Saturday. But I’m starting to wonder whether I don’t want to begin running longer distances (at a slower pace, of course). And that would mean me going for longer races such as 10K runs, half-marathons, and ultimately marathons. Just how soon do I want to start with these longer races?
In the next few days, I plan to try running longer distances in my training, without any regard to my speed. Just to see how far I can go.
There is a pet peeve of mine regarding these popular running races. The reporting of results in my hometown newspaper The Gainesville Sun is almost nonexistent. Just how much newspaper space would it take to list simply list the race results without comment? At least I can get the results from those holding the races.
I'm looking forward to participating in more races in the near future. The idea of longer runs does seem to be more appealing, though. And one of my "life goals" has been to successfully complete a marathon. Well, we'll see what happens!
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment