--The two big ongoing news stories, of course, are the impending presidential election and the financial crisis. I’ve pretty much stated my viewpoints in both areas in earlier articles. In a nutshell, I feel that the politics of desperation are tainting any reasonable discussion of the issues as we approach election day. It doesn’t matter to me whom you vote for in the presidential race: reasonable arguments can be made for either Obama or McCain. I’ll fill in the bubble next to Obama’s name, but whoever ends up being elected will be MY president regardless of whether I voted for him or not. As for the financial crisis, at the present moment I’m down to just crossing my fingers and hoping for an upturn. But I very skeptical of our government’s casual attitude about incurring debt into the trillions of dollars.
--After his conviction for armed robbery and kidnapping, former NFL star O.J. Simpson stands to be sentenced for a very long time in prison, possibly for life. My take is that, regardless of whether you think he had actually murdered his ex-wife Nicole and her friend that night in 1994, the fact remains that he was acquitted of those charges in the ensuing criminal trial. I have enough of a problem with Simpson, after this acquittal, being subjected to a civil suit in which a civil jury held him responsible for the same deaths that he was earlier acquitted of causing. And now there is spoken evidence that many, if not most of the jurors who convicted Simpson in this recent trial felt that he WAS the murderer and that their decision would help tilt justice back in what they perceive to be a better direction. O.K., Simpson may be guilty of the recent charges leveled at him, but I thought that there was such a thing as double jeopardy that prohibited people from repeatedly being tried for the same crime, once acquitted. Like him or not, I feel that Simpson’s case is an example of lynch mob justice done in a tidy, “civilized” manner. His lawyers are correct in challenging his convictions, in my opinion.
--The United States finally dropped North Korea from its “enemies” list of nations accused of sponsoring terrorism. As if nations in general didn’t have intelligence agencies and “black-ops” sections that went to other countries to carry out underhanded provocations for their own governments’ benefit. When a country’s secret shenanigans are working against our own country’s interests, then it’s called “promoting terrorism”. I don’t like what North Korea has been doing over the years with its funneling of arms to different hot spots across the world. But it by no means is the only country to do this. C’mon, let’s take a good, hard look at ourselves and what we’re doing in this area before coming down on others!
--Football season, both on the college and professional level, is rising to a fever pitch. The Florida Gators routed LSU 51-21 at home. I thought that some of the LSU players looked very foolish as they continued to yell out taunts to Florida players (especially to quarterback Tim Tebow), even though Florida was thoroughly clobbering them on the field.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment