This is an open call to my formerly favorite Gainesville-area radio station, 100.5-WHHZ "The Buzz", to forsake its recent deviation into a shameless imitation of its crosstown rival 103.7-WRUF "Rock 104". I have nothing against listening to occasional songs by groups like Linkin Park, Metallica, Disturbed, and Slipknot. In fact, one of my top favorite songs from last year was Linkin Park's Bleed It Out. But WHHZ, although it has a weaker signal than WRUF, used to have what economists call a comparative advantage by playing a special genre of music (independent/alternative) that no other station was playing. And that, quite simply, is (to me) far and away my favorite type of popular music. I loved hearing acts played on "The Buzz" like Beck, the Shins, Louis XIV, Tegan and Sara, the Vines, the Hives, the Strokes, Silversun Pickups, Spoon, Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, Snow Patrol, Dresden Dolls, Modest Mouse, the Yeh Yeh Yehs, Bloc Party, and the Decembrists. Now none of this music is available on the radio (in Gainesville), thanks to WHHZ's decision a few months ago to abruptly switch its music programming. It's not that I object to including some heavier pieces on WHHZ's playlist: I just would like to hear my songs as well when I tune in. And it's been months since I have tuned in to 100.5 without immediately switching to another station! I believe "The Buzz" must have changed management, with the new leadership turning its programming down a dead end road. WHHZ, you cannot compete head-on with WRUF-FM and win! The only way you can survive in this type of market is to carve out a niche for yourself by playing a distinctive genre (which you had been doing before quite well) and then publicizing it better (which you hadn't).
I happen to know that independent/alternative music is really the people's music. There is nothing in the human condition that isn't expressed through this music, and yet the artists within its domain adhere to high artistic and aesthetic standards. It's no accident that, time and time again, I would hear (and grow to like) one of these songs (that WHHZ used to play) and then hear it later on nationwide television advertisements. That's because the astute folks on Madison Avenue know what the not-so-astute folks at WHHZ apparently don't: independent/alternative music truly resonates with the people.
So, WHHZ, I'm still planning to tune in from time to time to see how you're doing. I'm grateful for those great bygone years in which you showed great musical taste (and in which you actually referred to the music you now constantly play as "dogsh#%"). But if you don't come back into the fold, I predict you will eventually either (a) go off the air completely, (b) go country & western, (c) go oldies, or (d) turn into just another reactionary right-wing talk station (like we need another one of those). But if you just return to what you did best, all will be forgiven, my poor, wayward, prodigal station!
Friday, June 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think The Buzz is the best radio station that central florida has had in a long time, take into consideration that i'm part of the younger generation, 20s, but they still play older bands like motley crue, which i total dig. They already took Orock 1059 from us and replaced it with an old peoples station - what is this monopoly!?! Seriously give these guys a chance...
ReplyDeleteBut WHHZ, although it has a weaker signal than WRUF, used to have what economists call a comparative advantage by playing a special genre of music (independent/alternative) that no other station was playing. And that, quite simply, is (to me) far and away my favorite type of popular music. I loved hearing acts played on "The Buzz" like Beck, the Shins, Louis XIV, Tegan and Sara, the Vines, the Hives, the Strokes, Silversun Pickups, Spoon, Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, Snow Patrol, Dresden Dolls, Modest Mouse, the Yeh Yeh Yehs, Bloc Party, and the Decembrists. Now none of this music is available on the radio (in Gainesville), thanks to WHHZ's decision a few months ago to abruptly switch its music programming.
ReplyDeleteWhat no one seems to understand is that none of these bands matter. Not only do they not matter to music as a whole--none of these bands will be regarded as the next LED... although, I do enjoy many of these cuts myself... Radio is a business. For better or worse--mostly worse--in order to maintain an FCC licensce for a commercial grade radio station you have to be able to pay the bills. I'm sorry to say it, but you have to be able to sell the studio and everything in between. It is what it is friends.
Twanner, what you seem to be implying with your comment is that only a narrow spectrum of music is relevant and worthy of airplay on the radio as it is commercially run nowadays. Not only do I strongly disagree with your dismissal of the listed artists, but I also take issue with the idea that their products are not commercially viable, when these same acts consistently perform to packed audiences. On the contrary, I believe that the people out there are getting increasingly tired of having no choice with radio and are abandoning it for the Internet (as I am).
ReplyDelete