Sunday, June 1, 2008
Prescience and Coincidence
I had three peculiar events happen to me in the span of twelve hours. A couple of nights ago at work, around eleven, I was pondering on the concept of prescience, or being able to divine the future. I imagined myself conversing with a coworker on this topic, and I contributed the idea that a certain worker on the next shift would walk in wearing a black shirt, blue jeans, and black boots. I had no sooner thought this when the very same fellow walked by, for the first time that night, dressed exactly as I had pictured! Coincidence, right? Later, that night, I lined up some music videos off You Tube to watch. As the first video was ending and the second one was about to start, my son come up from the back and asked me whether I had heard (and these are his words) a big bang outside. To which I replied no, but I was listening to my music and might not have heard. He stuck his head outside, looked around, and seeing nothing, went on back to his room. As he closed his door, my next video came on: Stone Temple Pilot's Big Bang Baby! And now we come to the next morning, around 11 AM. I am driving to my nearby Publix grocery store and am fiddling around with the car radio, trying to find a decent song to hear. And I hit upon the song Psycho by Puddle of Mudd, and muse upon the fact that, although this band seems to closely imitate the sound of Nirvana, they have endured and thus have earned my respect. Then I thought of other grunge-era singers like Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell and thought, yes, these guys had it together, they didn't self-destruct: they're all right. And then Psycho ended and the radio station immediately began playing Hunger Strike by Temple of the Dog, a temporary tribute band headed by--you guessed it--Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell. I tend to believe in coincidences and shy away from paranormal interpretations, but to be perfectly honest, these three occurrences kind of creep me out! The fact that I am immersed in Stephen King's Dark Tower series, which is supersaturated with this type of phenomena, doesn't help either! I can, however, see, by this string of events, how some people can get themselves caught up into believing in the paranormal (although I'm not sold on it yet).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment