Friday, April 18, 2008

Pope Benedict XVI

On Wednesday, Pope Benedict XVI made his arrival in the United States for his first visit since becoming the Roman Catholic Pontiff in 2006. Seeing how idolized the previous Pope (John Paul II) had become, the new Pope clearly had an unenviable task in following in his predecessor’s footsteps. When first entering the media spotlight at his ascension, he was portrayed as more of an ideologue, wanting to reverse recent reforms made in the Church. He also suffered some criticism within the Islamic community for some comments he had made about some of that religion’s history (although he was actually quoting someone from the fourteenth century). What’s my impression of him?

First of all, let me say out front that I am not a member of the Roman Catholic Church. So I am not “in” on all of the various issues that Catholics may be concerned about. And I’m sure that, with many of these issues, many Catholics feel strongly either in agreement or disagreement with the current Pope’s stances. But that aside, just going on how I directly see and hear him on TV, all I can say is that I like this man. He strikes me as being a humble, compassionate, sweet human being who strongly believes in using his current position to spread goodness and love around the world. He also seems to be candid about discussing his Church's various problems. Hopefully, he'll be able to restore some of the Catholic Church's lost trust due to the recent priest/child sex scandal here in America. Sure, Pope Benedict seems a bit more introverted than Pope John Paul II, but I can identify with that as well!

I wish the “new” Pope the best during his visit to the United States and that the great Church of which he is its “earthly” head will be able to solve its problems and to continue its missions and ministries with success.

No comments:

Post a Comment