For the past three seasons, I have been a fan of NBA basketball. Specifically, the NBA Western Conference. Even more specifically, the Phoenix Suns. Why the West? It’s probably because of the fact that I get off from work at midnight, come home, flick on the boob tube, and can usually find very little of value to watch. But, wait, what’s that? Yes! It’s a basketball game, usually between two NBA Western Conference teams, and it’s also in the more interesting second half! And this repeating scenario is how I let myself get sucked in to following the NBA. Why Phoenix? Although Shawn Marion has left the team, the Suns are an exciting, fast paced team lead by multiple-MVP Steve Nash and the astounding Amare Stoudemaire. And now the legendary Shaquille O’Neal is with them as well! Unfortunately, Phoenix’s first-round opponent is the defending NBA Champion San Antonio Spurs, who knocked the Suns out of the playoffs last year.
This has to be quite a strange year in the NBA West, for all eight teams making the playoffs have won at least 50 games! And Los Angeles with the best record at 57-25, is only seven games better than the “eighth” team Denver, which sports a record of 50-32. Now that’s a unique level of parity among some very excellent teams! I can’t wait for the playoffs this year!
The Eastern Conference is quite a bit more spread out than the West, with Boston, Detroit, and Orlando dominating. Atlanta, with a losing season, nonetheless managed to slip into the playoffs for the first time in many years. But they’re going to have to go up against the Celtics, who are the big favorites to win it all this year. I’ll be surprised if Boston doesn’t make it to the league championship series, but they just may not be up to the task against the Western winner!
Saturday, April 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment