Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Be Gentle With Yourself

Often I use this blog to express ideas for self-improvement. Mainly for MY self-improvement! And sometimes, especially when I read back over some of my writings, I feel a bit overwhelmed and pressured by what I seem to have been putting over on myself. There are some important areas in my life, to be sure, that I need improvement in. But I also need to relax a bit and enjoy the ride (through life) as well. As Max Ehrmann said in his wonderful exhortation Desiderata, “Be gentle with yourself.” After all, regardless of where I’m at in the world and what my surroundings are, there is one constant: my own thoughts and behavior always comprise my most immediate and influential environment. And if I can make that environment one of pleasantness, gentleness, and composure, I’ve already gone most of the way toward improving my lot in life!

It’s just as important to set aside some time each day to sit back, without the TV blaring or making frequent compulsive trips to the refrigerator, and quietly (without falling asleep) sit and relax, deliberately thinking about pleasant things while putting away whatever is currently causing any anxiety. It’s this sense of serenity, a calmness in the midst of the storm, that will ultimately carry me through the inevitable challenges and trials that tend to come to all of us at various times. Yes, the problems will still be there, on the outside. But I’ll be here on the inside, effectively dealing with them in an inner atmosphere of a calm, positive spirit. And the tumults and vicissitudes of “rat-race” living will not bring me down!

No comments:

Post a Comment