Saturday, February 16, 2008

Be Angry Or Make Angry

Sometimes, during my daily passage through this world and its ups-and-downs, the downs seem to take over and bring me to a baser level of consciousness. By that, I mean that when the stress and injustices associated with different situations I am compelled to be in pass a certain threshold, I tend to become more prone to anger and less willing to be a compassionate, reasonable person. Elements of our social existence that we often call "dog-eat-dog" can crop up anywhere, but most often (for me), it occurs in the workplace when certain duties are expressedly expected of me, but for which those in charge will not provide me with the means (time, assistance, or equipment) to accomplish them. Then, there are two types of immediate reactions that I can have: first, I can try to rise up to the stressful situation by attempting to accomplish my tasks in spite of the imposed handicaps; or second, I can continue working at a normally acceptable level and let the "system" break down. The first option may see me heroically surmounting the problems while drastically increasing my stress, anger, and disaffection. Choosing the second option would keep my composure at a normal level, but quite possibly anger some others around me.

The way I see it, in a work setting (or any other setting that requires social cooperation) there are always going to be times when the participants will have to chip in and "go the extra mile". But when a situation breaks down due to the negligence of others (usually habitual negligence), then stepping up and trying to compensate for it is, in my opinion, detrimental: not only to myself, but also for the entire dynamics of the situation. If someone else is consistently not doing their job, then this fact needs to be exposed, not covered up by overachieving and progressively angry colleagues. Yes, a breakdown/failure would cause some anger and bad feelings among some, but in the long run the problem has a better chance of being adequately addressed this way. To me, avoiding unnecessary anger and anxiety is just as much of a safety concern as other things such as correct lifting procedures or working around machinery.

No comments:

Post a Comment