Today, 23 years ago back in 2003, I proposed and took Will and Rebecca down to Wild Adventures theme park in Valdosta, Georgia. My aim was to provide the kids a fun thrill ride experience and to face my fears about the effects that gravitational shifts and inversion made on my body and sense of well-being. As it was, we all went on Pharoah's Fury, Double Shot, Boomerang, Hangman, and Cheetah. Seems like they enjoyed themselves, and so did I. After leaving the park late that afternoon, we got on I-75 south where a concentrated thunderstorm hit us, impeding my vision as I struggled to keep a clear field in front of us. This experience opened the way for us all to boldly go on as many thrill rides as we could in the two years ahead, including Busch Gardens, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, two more visits to Wild Adventures, and Cypress Gardens. My favorite destination was Busch Gardens, with Montu, Kumba and Gwazi being my favorite coaster rides( add Scorpion for Busch Gardens). The Hulk coaster, along with Ice and Fire, were my favorites at Universal, and we got a kick out of going on the Jurassic Park boat/slide ride. Doctor Doom's Free Fall terrified Melissa and made me quite uneasy. From 2005 forward, our theme park visits slowed down and henceforth so did our venturing out on thrill rides. When I drove to Hollywood to visit my father, I took pains to stop off at Boomer's on Stirling Road, where I went on their Dania Beach Hurricane wooden coaster until they finally shut down the ride. My all-time favorite wooden roller coaster was Thunderhead at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, which we enjoyed on our summer 2006 visit there...Boomer's Hurricane was runner-up.
My all-time favorite roller coasters are Montu, Kumba, Thunderhead and Gwazi, but, speaking solely of thrill rides, my favorite in that group has to be Power Surge...found mainly at Wild Adventures and Cypress Gardens. Well, we'll see if, on any future visit(s), we discover one or more of these fine rides. The only remaining thrill ride I've gone on in recent years is the Royal Caribbean's Abyss dry slide, which plummets the rider quickly ten levels, from 16 to 6. Well, maybe I'll try it again should we go on that huge boat again. Oh, and if you see it, put me on Wild Adventure's Aviator again..
23 years ago I was still a gung-ho thrill ride enthusiast. I loved them all. But now, at 74, it seems that my neck and inner ear can no longer take those great rides. The arthritis prevents me from taking the rides with the harsh movements and I now get too dizzy (meaning nauseous) when riding the ones that do the big loops. Makes me glad that I kept riding them over and over as long as I could. Your 2 years of adventure seeking at the theme parks would have been my idea of the best time ever!
ReplyDeletei liked to luxuriate about Busch Garden's Montu being the Caddy of Coaster, still like to watch the point-of-view rides on YouTube with my face on the scree...as if I'm actually there! Miss Kumba, too.
ReplyDeleteSeems that in 2006 my family's enthusiasm about theme Parks dwindled and hasn' fully returned. My biggest objection (and fear) are focused on the long and often hazardous road trips to them and back. I used to number each ride and record how many times I rode them. The easiest thrill rides? Pharaoh's Dury and Power Surge. I'd like to ride another one should the opportunity arise. Time to put my face on the screen and do some youTube virtual rides, starting with Montu!
ReplyDelete