Saturday, February 21, 2026

Arose Early Today, Saturday Morning

 It's already close to 5:30 on this Saturday morning, and I've been up just a little while with some good-tasting coffee on the brew.  I'm looking forward to a nice visit with Anita, who has traveled here from Austin.  I am 69 years old and feel betrayed by a sudden, dismal cancer diagnosis from four months ago following brain cancer removal surgery.  I'm committed to keeping up with treatments, but the oncologists don't give me anything to expect beyond maybe 14 months to live.  I just ran in place on the rug living room floor for two minutes, and plan to do some less intense cardio there.  The big ambitious personal achievement goals I once believed in are all gone now, with expectations in a social context almost extinguished...for good.  Just let's enjoy the day as it unfolds...and later on when I am weary and it folds back up.  I so much love Melissa and our sometimes wayward dog Daisy Sweet Peewee.  C'mon, girls, let's hang out!  Within the next few weeks, I'd like to get down to Depot Park near Gainesville's downtown to attempt the course, with four slow laps on the agenda. And then it's time for Dunkin' and some rest and recovery.  Right now the regular TV channels are on , along with the typical dubious community-based programming that calls for a more Woke approach.  And now, back to some home exercise and rest before the sun makes its appearance in the fog...

2 comments:

  1. Nearly 50 years ago I got myself a book on jogging which emphasized doing a Long Slow Distance (which it referred to as LSD, not to be confused with the hallucinogenic). That was a real turning point for me as before I would try and go for speed, but I would very quickly become winded and wasn't able to recover quickly enough to continue. While my degenerative joints won't all me to jog anymore, I still use that technique for both hiking and swimming. If I go slow, I can go farther and for longer and I still get a good feeling of accomplishment at the end. It sounds as if you've come up with a good exercise regime while you are managing your treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With my daily rug-based running-in-place I'm trying to follow the advice of Ralph, the "ageless Runner" on that-named YouTube channel. He's an advocate of light, low-intensity running that can be gradually expanded to longer distances. That's how I want to go: long-distance, slow finishes. The progress is coming along nicely, so far. Still enjoying the indoors climate control!

    ReplyDelete