Saturday, September 6, 2025

Ran and Walked the West End Community Parkrun 5K This Morning


This morning I got up early, once again proving that I can indeed engage in this suggested habit if I have a good reason behind it.  And that reason was today's Parkrun, held Saturday mornings at 7:30.  My Parkrun of choice (Gainesville has two) was the West End Community Parkrun, the eighth event since it began in early July.  That location is a former golf course-turned community park, a few blocks west of 122nd Street off Newberry Road. For me it was my third official finish there, and I had my strategy set before me: alternate five minutes of speed-walking with five of moderate running...starting the race with three minutes of careful running as we passed over a long stretch of cracked up concrete sidewalk.  The conditions were predictably inhospitable: 72 degrees with 94% humidity, and a glaring sun rising in the east without any clouds.  The course has so many twists and turns that it is indecipherable...just follow the signs, arrows and volunteer marshals.  Although it was a bit taxing under such heat and humidity, I found this regular switching between running and walking to be very workable, a template for my future races although I might adjust the walk/run ratios.  Let's see, when I finished it at a time of 34:36, I figured that I walked a total of 15 minutes and ran for 19:36...not bad.  You can view today's posted results by clicking HERE.  Next week I'll most likely cross over to Depot Park.  The West End Community Parkrun this morning had relatively few participants, but that Depot Parkrun usually swells up.  I do like the fact that after West End is over, I can cool off and change at the gym across Newberry Road and then enjoy a coffee or chai latte at Patticakes next door.  And now it's time to face the rest of this weekend, whatever it brings us. As for tomorrow morning, let's see what motivates me to get up early...

No comments:

Post a Comment