I like my habit of going out on Saturday mornings and participating in one of Gainesville's two Parkruns. I either run it, speed-walk it, mix up the two within the same race or volunteer. So far since 2019 I have finished 84 such events. You're accorded the privilege after reaching 25, 50, 100 and 250 milestones of ordering special tee shirts bearing the achieved level. I had their pretty lavender "25" shirt but a few months ago either misplaced or lost it...sad. But now I'm going with "50", red-colored. If things go according to plan I should be eligible sometime early in 2026 for their "100" shirt...looking forward to it. As Shauna (the Parkrun leader here in Gainesville) has said on multiple occasions, the Parkrun 5K is not a competition per se but rather an event designed to bring people together who embrace fitness and bettering themselves. I'm in agreement with her on this: my priorities with Parkrun are (1) show up, (2) finish, (3) do the run or walk or volunteer gig true to my standards, (4) as reasonably as possible be friendly and accommodating toward others attending with me and (5) write about it on my blog. Well, here's one of those (5)'s! Starting a couple of years ago I decided to phase more speed-walking into my workouts and racing. With this I began inserting, every few weeks, a Parkrun event in which I walked the 3.1 miles at my then-top pace. My speed did pick up to the point where, a year ago, I regularly finished the 5K distance faster than 40 minutes, my top two days both at 38:19. I was also some 25 pounds lighter at the time, something that I believe contributed to my speed and progress. Since then, though, the weight has come back up and my finishes have gotten slower. And a couple of annoying things happened as well. One of the volunteer slots available to choose for a Parkrun is to be a park-walker. You don a blue park-walker-volunteer vest and then simply walk the course during the race, presumably as someone who can be supportive to other participants. Back on June 21st, I was speed-walking at Depot Park when a little boy, wearing that park-walker-volunteer vest, casually walked right past me toward the end, eventually leaving me far behind. I was a little disconcerted at this, because I thought damn, I could have done what he did and race-walked, getting an extra volunteer credit in the process. Then last week I was speed-walking at their newly begun West End Community Park course when the identical thing again happened. This time the "volunteer", as it turned out, was an elderly woman in my same age group (65-69). And she seemed to be having quite an easy time passing me, too...and it seemed to mean something to her to do so. The fact that some others are so casual about walking so quickly shouldn't bother me, but it does because I take speed-walking seriously and see it as a promising vehicle for me to maintain a robust level of ambulatory activity deeply into my senior years, God willing. I'd like to even speed-walk a 26.2 mile marathon race in under 6 hours, but I feel I need to get my weight back down to a more reasonable figure first. And I suppose that in the meantime, anybody can have their grandson or granny "volunteer" to fly right on by me in a Parkrun if that makes them feel higher on the pecking order. I just don't see how that's doing any of the rest of us good if they're doing it as "volunteers"...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment