Friday, August 29, 2025

My Song of the Month for August 2025 is Garbage

It's approaching the end of yet another month, time for me to select my "song of August 2025".  I sought material that has been released this year for musical acts that produced songs I liked in the past.  The British alternative rock group Garbage, fronted by Shirley Manson, produced songs I liked in the late 1990's such as Stupid Girl, Push It and Special.  At the start of '25 they released the album Let All That We Imagine Be the Light. I listened to it all, one track at a time, and...wouldn't you know it...this is the third album in a row I've listened to in its entirety whose tracks I disliked.  Except, once again, for one standout, which I think totally rocks: the opening one, titled There's No Future in Optimism.  Shirley's appealing singing voice is in full stride here, and the song's instrumental production is breathtaking and powerful.  This is my song of August, and you might want to give it a listen.  In recap, below are my songs of the month for 2025 so far:

AUGUST   There's No Future in Optimism by Garbage
JULY          The Birds by Franz Ferdinand
JUNE         Stuck in My Head by Arcade Fire
MAY          Walking on a Dream by Empire of the Sun
APRIL        Nothing I Need by Lord Huron
MAY          Under the Rug by Arcy Drive
FEBRUARY  Starburster by Fontaines DC
JANUARY    Everyone Out by DIIV

No comments:

Post a Comment