When I pulled into the Depot Park parking lot this morning a little past seven, it was 75 degrees with 93% humidity. These inhospitable weather conditions were expected, though, especially in the middle of these summertime dog days. Last Saturday at this time I was on the cruise boat, docked at Nassau in the Bahamas, so of course there was no Parkrun for me then. And even today, I volunteered as a tail-walker, so I wouldn't exactly be testing my ability to withstand the conditions...this past week I've done the equivalent, though, with my neighborhood walk/runs. My main concern with being a tail-walker was to make sure I was the last person in the field, so at the start I waited a couple of minutes so that anyone who was going to be in the race was already "in"...and then I started at a slow pace. Another volunteer was a "regular" park-walker, and she stayed back to photograph the other runners and walkers for their Facebook event photo feature...this was nice, although it also held me up, making me walk even slower than I had planned. The spirit around this event was sweet, and it all seemed to go off without a hitch. I finished 82nd out of 82, which of course is what I was supposed to do, at a subdued time of 1:11:38. If you'd like, you can click HERE to view today's Depot Parkrun 5K results. One of the nice things about volunteering as a walker is that I get credits both for completing the course and for volunteering. Maybe next month I'll volunteer again, but I'd like to wait a bit before then...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment