The good folks at Depot Parkrun had mentioned more than once that on this present Sunday morning, six days before the inaugural West End Parkrun 5K gives Gainesville the status of a two-Parkrun town with its first race, they would welcome anyone to go to that park to check out its course and give feedback. West End used to be a golf course before it became a community park, situated in the unincorporated town of Tioga just west of Gainesville on Newberry Road . It's a bit out there from my house, which lies in the far-northern fringes of Gainesville. I timed my drive to West End this morning. It being Sunday morning around 7, it didn't surprise me that it only took 22 minutes, with much of the time spent waiting at traffic lights that stayed red for no apparent reason. The people assembled there at West End were a mixture of runners and walkers...and some of the organizers, including the Depot Parkrun director...a fast runner in her own right. We were shown course maps, which displayed a course that wound through the park like it was still a golf course, with a lot of twists and turns. There was plenty of concrete sidewalk, which alternated between stretches of grass connecting them. It was also considerably more sloped than for the Depot Park course. And there were no repeat laps here...you just stayed on course here until you finished it. The West End Parkrun course reminded me a little of the old track/cross-country runs back in high school, near our campus, that would go across fields and down horse trails...that was cool. But you do need to keep your attention on the ground ahead of you to avoid slipping or tripping. Especially at the beginning, the sidewalk's concrete slabs were often a little out of place and easy to trip on. And with the grass, on our trial run it hadn't been cut for a while and was overgrown and slick with dew moisture. I had hoped to be able to keep up with the director on the run but even though she said she took it more slowly, there was no way I could gain any benefit from trying to stay even with her. Eventually I finished the run after a long struggle trying to keep up with its meandering nature...one false turn and you're lost. At the finish line I checked my Fitbit to see the mileage: 3.48 miles, some .38 mile longer than a 5K, or more than 10% too far. Our director had asked for my feedback with this and I told her. I don't know if they'll try to do anything to shorten the course between now and when the first "official" run is held next Saturday morning. As for me, it was a good training run that I frankly hadn't been preparing myself to do this morning: I wasn't dressed for it and my clothes were soaked with perspiration after it ended. I kept up a reasonable (for me) pace while attuning myself to the course, finishing at 31:44, a relatively slow time for me until you consider that I did say that the course was over 10% too long. Next Saturday, though, if I do a Parkrun, I'm pretty sure that it will be at Depot Park again...and most likely will be a speed-walk...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment